Candidate Search: Director of MizzouRec Services and Facilities
University Title: Director II Student Support Services
Position Title: Director, Recreation Services
Job Opening: 31745
Posting Period: Oct. 1 to Nov. 30 (applications will be received until position is filled)
Last Updated: Oct. 2, 2019
Directs the development and integration of student support services to support the teaching programs of a college or school. Directs financial, operations and personnel activities of a student support services area such as admissions, residential life, counseling services or student employment.
- Applies understanding of the organization and how own function integrates with others to achieve functional and university objectives
- Liaises with department leaders to accomplish functional goals and objectives
- Assists in developing departmental plans, including business production and/or organizational priorities
- Develops and administers policies and practices for the function, aligning with university policies and practices
- Manages and oversees financial and operational activities of the function
- Adapts functional plans, priorities, budgets, etc. to meet short- and long-term service and/or operational objectives/goals and address any resource and operational challenges
- Serves as the main point of contact for program development related matters
- Identifies and solves highly technical and operational problems
- Understands and recognizes broader impact across the function and university
- Impacts the team’s ability to achieve service, quality and timeliness of objectives by providing expertise and leadership
- Guides and influences others either internally or externally to adopt a different point of view
- Serves as liaison with constituents outside of the student support function
- Provide direction and leadership to a team of 15-20 professional staff, 350+ student staff, campus partners and division centralized support functions. Lead program development and enhancements which best supports a culture of service and contribute to the student experience.
- Develop and execute short and long-term financial strategies including revenue and sales forecasting, capital plan and project development of maintenance, repair, replacement plans for facilities and fitness equipment, student fee levels, operating and capital budgets, fundraising and development of partnership programs including annual sports and academic scholarship distribution.
- Responsible for the management of MizzouRec facilities including the 300,000 sq ft. Student Recreation Complex, Stankowski Outdoor Complex, two natural grass recreation and competition fields, and the MU Rec Trail. Develop and execute long range planning for facility enhancements and maintenance through the repair and replacement plans.
- Oversight of the strategic program management to insure the delivery of quality service of instructional, fitness, and competitive programs.
- Responsible for department risk management and policy and procedure development. Administers, develops and implements programs and facility policies, procedures and risk management practices.
- Develop and execute strategic plan and assessment centered towards the student experience and contributing to university strategic goals for recruitment and retention.
- Engage in effective, collaborative working relationships with campus partners, local community and external organizations to ensure goals and objectives are achieved.
Liaises with department leaders to accomplish functional goals and objectives.
- Manages professional employees and/or supervisors
- Has accountability for the performance and results of a team within own function
A master’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least seven years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- Experience as a director, associate director or assistant director of a department with similar scope and responsibilities
- Apply online: hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/staff and search for job opening 31745
- Review of applications will begin immediately
- Position open until filled
- Start date is negotiable
- Search committee appointed.
- Search committee meets to discuss process, timeline, and desired qualities.
- Position posted and advertised nationally.
- Vice Provost screens all applications and refers 10-15 strong candidates to search committee for review.
- Search committee reviews strong applicants and identifies 6-10 candidates for phone interviews.
- Search committee chair and 1 or 2 committee members conduct all phone interviews.
- Vice Provost meets with chair to discuss phone interviews and identify 3-5 finalists for campus interviews.
- Three to five finalists are invited for campus visits.
- Campus visits are conducted. Each campus visit will involve several interviews with separate groups of stakeholders over a day and a half. The search committee will meet with each candidate.
- Search committee meets to identify strengths and weaknesses of each candidate and send to Vice Provost for Student Affairs for review.
- Vice Provost for Student Affairs meets with search committee to discuss candidates.
- Offer is extended to successful candidate.
Chair: Bryan Goers, Senior Coordinator, Student Engagement, Dean of Students
- Steven Ball, Professor, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology
- Kate Fleming, Office of Campus Reservations/MizzouRec Event Management
- Amanda Hoffman, Graduate Professional Council (GPC)
- Heath Immel, Director, Student Unions
- Nic Philpot, Missouri Orthopedic/MU Health Care Athletic Trainer
- Sarah Reesman, Senior Deputy Athletic Director
- Jen Sutterer, MSA President